Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sworn to Raise by Terah Edun

Title:  Sworn to Raise
Series:  Courtlight #1
Author:  Terah Edun
Published:  April 10th 2013 by Amazon Digital
Length:  268pgs
Format:  ebook
Genre:  YA Fantasy
Shelf:  Review
Rating:  ★★★★★


Synopsis from Goodreads:



Seventeen-year-old Ciardis has grown up in poverty, a cleaner in a small vale on the outskirts of the empire. But beneath her empire’s seemingly idyllic surface lies a hidden secret. Whispers of an inept crown Prince are growing ever louder—intensified by the five year anniversary of the soulbond initiations.

Amidst scandalous whispers, Ciardis finds herself chosen to train for the Companion’s Guild. She leaves her home and sets off on a personal journey to become a Court Companion. A position she’d never thought possible for a lowly servant to obtain, she must prove that she has the skills to attract a Patron.

But she must master those skills quickly. If the legends are true, only Ciardis can harness the power to raise a Prince in an Imperial Court sworn to bring him down.

This sensational series debut melds intricate storylines with remarkable characters and unforgettable magic. Sworn To Raise is ideal for fans of Kristin Cashore, Michelle Sagara, and Maria Snyder.

My Review:

My first thoughts on this one? What a phenomenally unique and completely captivating tale. I couldn’t put it down for a second. And my final thoughts? Holy cliffhanger without actually being a cliffhanger. And everything that came in between was amazing too. I don’t think that I put this book down once.

This was a quick read that was very easy to immerse myself in. I love this author’s writing style. It’s smooth & approachable without talking down to you or becoming simplistic. It’s eloquent yet not over the top. Edun’s descriptions paint an exciting world in front of her reader’s eyes. As a reader, you feel like you’re walking through a fantasy world while being caught up in an enchanting storyline.

I quite appreciated the vast array of characters that I encountered throughout this tale. They cover many age ranges and walks of life, making the story even more interesting. The female lead was definitely brilliant. I appreciated the fact that although she went from rags to riches, she still stayed true to who she was at the core. Not only did I feel connected with her in the present, but I found myself guessing at her future, where she’ll end up and who with. Edun makes her characters even more memorable with their one of a kind names. So many of them are unique or at least uncommon, but none are difficult to remember.

As a whole I was completely entranced by the story. It was exciting, adventurous, and a brilliant way to get to know this author. I would definitely recommend this novel to others and can’t wait to read more by this brilliant author.

|  Goodreads  |  Shelfari  |  Amazon  |  B&N  |  Kobo  |  Indigo  |  Smashwords  |

No comments:

Post a Comment