Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Fish out of Water by Ros Baxter

Title:  Fish out of Water
Author: Ros Baxter
Series:  Aegirian Trilogy #1
Published:  April 1st 2013 by Escape Publishing
Page Count:  169
Genre:  Fantasy Romance
Shelf:  Review Copy
Rating:  ★★★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum meets Splash in a sexy, smart-talking debut about a mermaid in a desert, a city under water, and the secret that no one is supposed to uncover.

Dirtwater's straight-talking Deputy Sheriff Rania Aqualina has a lot on her plate: a nicotine addiction that's a serious liability for a mermaid, a soldier-of-fortune ex who's hooked on her Mum's brownies, a gorgeous, naked stranger in her shower, and a mysterious dead blonde with a fish tattoo on Main Street.

Heading home to Aegira for a family wedding, Rania has a sinking feeling that's got nothing to do with hydroporting seven miles under the sea and everything to do with the crazy situation. Now, if she can just steal a corpse, get a crazy Aegiran priest off her case, work out who the hell's trying to kill her, and stop sleeping with the fishes, she might be able to unravel the mysteries. And maybe even save her own ass while she's at it.

Fish out of Water is Stephanie Plum meets Splash, and the first book in a trilogy about Aegira, an underwater kingdom based on the historical Norse legend of Aegir.

My Review:

Baxter has a down to earth, in your face writing style that really puts you in the psyche of the main character. Her short sentence structure adds to the aura of reality and the hard pressing necessity to move forward with every tick tock of the clock, even if you want to stall and move backwards. I found myself completely immersed in the story and the very unique world that the author has created. I could barely put this book down.

I absolutely love the names that Baxter comes up with for places and things. They’re short, to the point, and memorable. They also make you giggle, drawing you further into the web that she weaves. She also uses similes and metaphors to make her beautiful descriptions more intricate. Baxter’s prologue also does a good job of setting up the mythology for the story as well as giving her readers the necessary background information for events that occur further on in the story.

The characters that Baxter has presented in this novel were amazing. By the end of the novel I was wishing that I had the sequel in my hand. I am so in love with these characters that I didn’t want to let them go, even for a second. You get to know the main characters are real people and you find yourself irrevocably enmeshed in their lives.

With this novel Baxter kept me rooting for the main characters, hoping against hope. Baxter made me hope, she made me dream, made me want to fight for what’s right, and she brought tears to my eyes. And above all, Baxter definitely kept me intrigued, captivated, and guessing throughout this unique tale.

Buy your copy online here today!


No comments:

Post a Comment