Monday, December 31, 2012

The Color of Grace by Linda Kage

Title:  The Color of Grace
Author:  Linda Kage
Published: August 1st 2012 by Whiskey Creek Press
Page Count: 333
Genre: Young Adult Romance
Shelf: Review Copy
Rating:  ★★★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:
When my mother remarried after thirteen years of being a widow, I had to move to a new town and enroll in a new school. Suddenly thrust into an entirely different kind of life, I just wanted to go home. I didn’t want to meet new people, didn’t want to leave my old friends, didn’t want to become a third wheel to my mom and her husband….and I really didn’t want to see Ryder Yates again. Ugh, I still don’t know why I turned down that too-good-to-be-true boy who flirted with me when we were attending separate schools.

But honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It was worse.

Who knew becoming lost in a new life could help a girl find her true colors?


My Review:

From the very beginning of this novel I found myself lost in the imagery that Kage so masterfully created. She used it to create a phenomenal backdrop and surreal descriptions for her story. She also brings the symbolism of color in both art and literature to the forefront of her descriptions and the story itself. These all come together seamlessly to create a story that you get completely lost in.

The characters become so real that you cannot help but giggle along with them, and your heart goes out to them time and time again when things go wrong. You cannot help but wonder what you would do if you found yourself struggling through similar situations. Everything seems so real that at times you forget that you are reading the pages of a book rather than living them yourself. 

I fully commend the author for bringing very difficult situations to the attention of readers. Unfortunately these situations are all too often present and hidden or overlooked in today’s society. Kage not only writes of the struggles of one young girl faced with these issues, but also shows how to rectify the situation, regardless of how difficult it may be. This is a huge eye-opening novel for today’s young readers that completely illustrates the point that it is not your fault. It is also a captivating read for adults and young adults alike.

When I finished this novel I found myself wanting more. It’s not that there was anything missing from the story, but rather I wanted to continue the journey through life with these characters that I had come to love.

Get your copy of this novel online here today.




No comments:

Post a Comment