Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Chains of War by Dean F. Wilson

Title:  The Chains of War
Series:  The Children of Telm #3
Author:  Dean F. Wilson
Publication Date:  August 12/14 by Dioscuri Press
Length:  294pgs
Genre:  fantasy
Shelf:  review
Rating: ★★★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

THE FINAL HOUR. THE FINAL FIGHT. THE FINAL WAR.

The first of Agon’s chains has broken, and the others are straining. It is only a matter of time before he is free, before the world is engulfed in chaos and death.

There are few left to stop him. Most of the gods can only sit and watch in horror from their prison in the heavens, but the resurrection of the father god Corrias gives the people of Iraldas a sliver of hope, a fighting chance.

Yet the memory of Corrias' failure to defeat Agon in ages past plays heavily on all minds. Many know that it is only the might of the Warrior-god Telm that can defeat the Beast. That god is dead, but his power lives on in his bloodline, in Ifferon and others like him, and they are tasked with waging a final war against the Beast.

My Review:

This is definitely a bittersweet moment for me. Finishing a fantastic novel is always a great feeling, yet the end of this trilogy that I’ve come to depend on for my escape from reality has come to an end. There’s just something about Wilson’s writing that keeps me hooked from cover to cover. I swear he could write about the weather and I wouldn’t be able to put it down. Combine his fantastically captivating writing style with the intricate plot that he’s created and you have a novel that I absolutely devoured.

I loved the mix of characters and personalities that we meet in the story. Those that we’ve been travelling with throughout the series have become close friends that I loved revisiting. These vivid and creative individuals each have their own strength and weaknesses that lend themselves to the adventure of a lifetime. Backed up by the seamless plot and vivid descriptions the sense of darkness and urgency really shines through. Myth and fantasy blend with reality in uniquely interesting ways that one can’t escape. Suspense and intrigue make their way into the tale as adventure rules the day.

This was a great novel (and series) that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to fantasy lovers anywhere. It was an in depth, intricate tale that truly enriched my life. This series will definitely become one of my staple fantasy reads.

Book Links 

No comments:

Post a Comment