Friday, November 13, 2015

Guest Review - Under the Surface by Katrina Penaflor

Today I'm handing the reins over to Kate while she reviews Under the Surface by Katrina Penaflor.

About the reviewer:

My name is Kate aka Ms. Phoenix on Goodreads. I'm 34 years old. When I'm not reading, which rarely happens then I watch Supernatural, The 100 and Downton Abbey amongst other series that don't mesh together. Unfortunately I have to work to feed my habit.


About the novel:

I'm drowning.

I want to swim to the surface. I try to swim to the surface, but my body just won’t move. I sink. I panic. I think—this is the moment I will finally drown.



Emilie Waters has been on her own since moving out of an abusive home at the age of eighteen. Now twenty-one, she is attending a new college in Rhode Island where she struggles to make a new life for herself. It’s there that she meets student and photographer, Ren Warren, who’s drawn to Emilie after taking her photo. What starts off as intrigue and attraction between the two turns into something more. But when the pain of Emilie’s past becomes too much for her to bear, will Ren be strong enough to pull her out of it? Or will Emilie be left to drown?

A New Adult Romance, due to mature content recommended for readers 17+



The  Review:

I had ‘Under the Surface’ on my ‘not released shelf’ for a while and I really wanted to read it. As there was no set release date. I had another idea to get my hands on it. I ended up writing the author and requesting an ARC. The lucky cow that I am I received a copy. The genre New Adult is usual hit or miss for me. More miss than hit to be honest. So Happy Days it is a winner.

Emilie Waters moves to Rhode Island to start a fresh at college, leaving Nevada, her past and her pain behind. Through her tragic past she struggles to give herself a life that she wants, needs and yearns for.

Ren Warren transferred to the same college as Emilie. I’d like to say that he is content but he choosing your path in is ever easy. He knows that he is missing something but it takes him time to figure it out. He gave up his dream to become a photographer due to tragic circumstances and regrets the consequences.

How do two extremely different people meet? A chance encounter and a hoodie help. Ren being persistent doesn’t hurt either.

Ren asks Emilie out, she agrees but is unsure why has she only does casual hook-ups. But there is something between the two.

Emilie is straight forward but in some cases she is downright mean. She pulls the friend card and Ren accepts. Her feelings for Ren start to grow and then wonders why he won’t make a move. Bloody hell, really?

They have both endured pain and loss and each of them have dealt with it differently. They try to forgive both for different reasons. I’d say that Emile has more issues than Ren. She has always been alone and well she finally has someone who will take care of her.

There is great character development for the main characters throughout the book and Emilie grew on me. There were certain, huh moments for me.

Noel was an odd friend and some of the things she came out with, I don’t know I feel as if a friend wouldn’t say that. Ren’s ex is a fruitcake, certifiable and well twisted to do what she did.

I would have liked to have seen more character development of the secondary characters. I wanted to have had the opportunity to feel them out as people as I’m sure that they will have books about them as well.

The writer deals with real issues that can happen in everyday life and she pulls it off in a tasteful matter.

This book is about confronting your demons about fighting, dealing with the pain and trying to make the right choices in life. I don’t want to give too much away so I suggest that reading the book is the best way to go about it.

This most certainly is an author to watch out for.

3.5 ‘Where there is water, there is paradise’ Stars.
ARC given to me by author in exchange for a honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment