Friday, July 31, 2015

The Winter Lodge by Susan Wiggs

Title:  The Winter Lodge
Series:  The Lakeshore Chronicles #2
Author:  Susan Wiggs
Publication Date:  February 1/07 by Mira Books
Length:  408pgs
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  own
Rating: ★★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

On the longest night of the year, Jenny Majesky loses everything in a devastating house fire. But among the ashes she finds an unusual treasure hidden amid her grandfather's belongings, one that starts her on a search for the truth, and on a path toward a life that she never imagined. The Winter Lodge, a remote cabin owned by her half sister on the shores of Willow Lake, becomes a safe refuge for Jenny, where she and local police chief Rourke McKnight try to sort out the mysteries revealed by the fire. But when a blizzard traps them together, Jenny, accustomed to the safe predictability of running the family bakery, suddenly doesn't feel so secure. For even as Rourke shelters her from the storm outside, she knows her heart is at risk. Now, following her dreams might mean walking away from her one chance at love.

My Review:

I love Wiggs’ polished and inviting writing style and how it combines with her tough subject matter. The characters that she writes about may not have easy lives, but they are their own. Wiggs makes true love seem not just possible, but also probably. Even the toughest obstacles are surmountable. And goodness me, do I ever want to bake after reading this one! Food for Thought was the perfect addition to the novel and really sets the tone for each section. 

Wiggs brings each character to life in their own way, yet you get up close and personal with all of them. I love how we get deep into the lives of many characters of different ages and walks of life. It gives you a real feel for the whole town. The main characters were a lot of fun to get to know, and I found myself wanting to work through their problems with them. I love how Wiggs jumped back and forth from present to past to fill in their combined and separate histories. I breathed a sigh of relief when Rourke and Jenny finally came together. I’ll admit, however, that I found Daisy somewhat irritating at times in this novel, yet I know that I come to love her in the next book in the series (yes, I did read the series out of order). She just plays too much on the ‘oh poor me’ spoiled rich kid of divorcees at the beginning of the novel. She’s a bit of a hit & miss character for me in this novel. Sometimes I love her & sometimes she rubs me the wrong way.

Wiggs’ writing is sheer magic! She can make you laugh and make you cry, sometimes at the same time. She brings an entire world to life through her words, and holds readers tight.

Book Links 

No comments:

Post a Comment