Friday, June 26, 2015

Always My Hero by Jennifer DeCuir

Title:  Always My Hero
Series:  Scallop Shores #5
Author:  Jennifer DeCuir
Publication Date:  June 29/15 by Crimson Romance
Length:  220pgs
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  review
Rating: ★★★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

Bashful town librarian Bree Adams has put her friends’ and family’s needs before her own for as long as she can remember, in part to hide a hurtful secret. But on New Year’s Eve, she resolves to stop punishing herself for old mistakes. Everyone deserves a happy ending, and she’s going to get hers. But then she comes face to face with her painful past.

Ryan Pettridge left Scallop Shores a hometown hero with a full scholarship to UCLA and an NFL destiny. Then a freak accident stole his hopes and dreams and turned the all-star athlete into a desk jockey accountant. Now his father’s stroke brings him home to take over the family hardware store.

Fate conspired once to keep Bree and Ryan apart. Despite the years that have passed, they still can’t resist each other and sparks rekindle between them. But will their difficult past be too much to overcome, or can Bree prove to Ryan once and for all that he has always been a hero in her eyes?

My Review:

DeCuir brings all the sweetness of romance to life, with just a dash of the snark that comes with a second chance. And she wraps this all up in a pricelessly comical package! DeCuir develops her story in such a manner that I could easily picture myself in Scallop Shores. Old hurts and friendships collide with present day intrigue in such a manner that I simply couldn’t put this one down.

I love the characters that DeCuir populates her story with. They’re realistic, real life individuals with a touch of flair that makes them absolutely unforgettable. Bree’s ‘new self’, combined with who she really is in an endearing manner that really allowed me to connect with her. Ryan especially captured my attention. He was dealing with issues on so many fronts, yet still staying true to those he loved. The characters in this novel weaseled their way into my heart until I couldn’t imagine never having met them.

Although not the first novel in the series, DeCuir makes it very easy for readers to start reading with this unforgettable story. But be warned, you will be left wanting to read what came before and dying to see what comes next from this captivating author.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jonel!

    Ryan sounds like a hero I'd like to get to know. Nice review!

    P.S. Your reader interview is live on my blog: http://writewithfey.blogspot.com/2015/06/reader-interview-with-jonel-boyko.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I saw your guest post on Chrys Fey's blog and thought I'd drop by!
    I've never read a novel like this before. I've seen them (bunch set in the same city, right? But not all about the same people?) It's an interesting concept and I have a series I'm working on that uses it (young adult though). The way you explain Always My Hero in your review makes me want to go pick it up, despite my avoidance of books with half naked dudes on the cover :)

    ReplyDelete