Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Clique by Valerie Thomas

Title:  The Clique
Author:  Valerie Thomas
Published:  October 31/14
Length:  221pgs
Format:   ecopy
Genre:  YA contemporary
Shelf:  review
Rating: ★★

Back Cover Blurb:

The Clique is the story of Audrey Hughes, and the attempt of a boy to win her over by bringing her down. Manipulating her friends, poisoning her relationships, and tearing at her family; Devon will stop at nothing to get what he wants. But Audrey isn’t so easily ruined. She fights for her friends, pulling closer even when they would push her away.

My Review:

I found that the storyline of this novel was unoriginal. I felt like I’d read the same story many times before with different names and places in it. There also wasn’t any depth to the story. It was a superficial tale about going to school. It was a good start, but the author needs to add more of herself into the novel. Descriptions and narrative in this novel were lacking. I had a very hard time picturing what was going on around the characters, or really, who they were.

The characters in this novel definitely got on my nerves. I understand a character or two not being well adjusted to society, but the entire cast being in the same boat was a bit much for me.

The dialogue in this novel was its saving grace. Thomas has nailed teenage slang, etc. The flow of the dialogue was very natural, allowing you to feel like you were experiencing an actual conversation between the characters. That said, the narrative was choppy and stilted. I found it hard to stay involved in the story between conversations.

Personally, I don’t feel that Indie novels should be judged on a different scale from those traditionally published. Originality, editing, and approachability of characters definitely could use some work in this one.

|  Goodreads  |  Shelfari  |  Amazon  |

No comments:

Post a Comment