Monday, October 6, 2014

Christmas in Cowboy Country by Janet Dailey

Title:  Christmas in Cowboy Country
Series:  The Bennetts
Author:  Janet Dailey
Published:  September 30/14 by Zebra
Length:  336pgs
Format:   ecopy
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  netgalley
Rating:  ★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The greatest gift is love...

Ski instructor Annie Bennett doesn't have time to miss the twinkling lights and holiday parties in Aspen and Vail. With her older brothers gone and winter just around the corner, her parents need help with their sprawling Colorado ranch. The most wonderful time of the year isn't always easy for a lot of the folks in their town, but Annie does her best—until the tall, dark, and rugged surveyor on their neighbor's land becomes a potent distraction.

Wyoming born and bred, Marshall Stone is a practical man. But there's something about Annie that's as wild and sweet as the mountain wind. He doesn't want to tame her. Just love her. Annie Bennett is all he wants for Christmas. And for always. But she's too wary to believe he means it. Until he takes her in his arms and explains without saying a single word.

My Review:

What an intriguing novel. Dailey tells a suspenseful, romantic tale, while remaining low key and approachable. The suspense in this tale is of a low key variety. It’s the type where you know what’s going on and want to shout it at the characters. Take this and set it in an immaculately developed world where you can picture yourself in the snow alongside the characters and you have a fantastic read. That said, there were a few times where I found the story jumping around. One second you were in one place, the next you were somewhere completely different with another character. After the first few jolts I didn’t notice it as much.

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the main characters in this novel. Both are well developed individuals who aren’t afraid to stand for what they believe in. Seeing them get to know one another while attempting to do what they thought was the right thing was comical at times. That said, as a leading couple, they didn’t spend too much time together. I would have loved to see the relationship develop some more. It went from 0 to 60 in the flip of a page. The supporting cast in this novel didn’t get very much development.

Wrapping up, I should probably mention that I was extremely excited when I got my hands on a copy of this novel. It sounded fantastic and I counted down the minutes until I could read it. I’m not saying that this was not an enjoyable read, as I fully enjoyed my time with the story, but it’s quite possible that I had it built up in my head long before I started reading this novel.

|  Goodreads  |  Shelfari  |  Amazon  |  B&N  |  Indigo  |

No comments:

Post a Comment