Monday, October 28, 2013

The Movement of Crowns by Nadine C. Keels

Title:  The Movement of Crowns
Author:  Nadine C. Keels
Series:  The Movement of Crowns #1
Published:  May 11th 2013 by CreateSpace 
(first published September 18th 2012)
Page Count:   116
Genre:  Fantasy
Shelf:  Review Copy
Rating:  ★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:


At the point when kingdoms’ ideas of humanity differ…

The nation of Diachona is celebrating the twentieth birthday and rite of passage for Constance, the Diachonian king’s daughter and heir. Yet, the pause for festivity doesn’t erase collective doubts about Constance’s aspiration for a place with the men on the National Council, nor does it eliminate fears roused by oppressive threats from a neighboring, powerful empire. Amid increasing rumors of war and personal misgivings about her own future, Constance deems this an inopportune time to be falling in love with one Commander Alexander. Will Providence keep them all through international tensions and the changing of times, or is Diachona watching its territory in vain?

My Review:

The mythical land in which this story takes place is quite well developed. I could visualise it throughout and wanted to go there, were I a man of course. I couldn’t help but picture the scenery and the world as a whole. Keels’ descriptions were well put together and fit very well with the flow of the story.

I found the characters in this novel to be quite superficial. Not only in personality, but in development as well. Because of this they were next to impossible to identify with making it hard to get into the story. That said, I really love the fact that a woman was standing up in a male dominated world, with those men close to her for support. It was quite heart-warming.

Overall, I had quite mixed feelings on this book. There were times when I was really starting to get into it and was enjoying it and others where I found myself rather lost and afloat. I wanted to like it more but had a hard time getting into the story as a whole.

Add to your Goodreads or Shelfari shelves.
Buy online via Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Chapters, or Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment