Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Interview with Christine Meunier


Today I'd like to welcome Christine Meunier, author of Horse Country, to Pure Jonel.

Let's find out a bit more about her.



Q ~ Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I’m a country girl at heart, having been born in a country town. I then moved to the city with my parents at a young age. It was when I was 18 that I was able to return to the country to study my passion: horses.

I love learning about horses and teaching others about them. This has led to me undertaking an equine science degree at uni alongside teaching horse studies at a TAFE institute.


Q ~ Are you a carrot or apples kind of gal?

I love them both! I think I’d have to say carrots though.

Q ~ What’s your favourite pass-time?

Reading!

Q ~ What is your favourite aspect of the equine world?

I love the breeding industry and in particular the physiology of getting a mare ready to breed.

Q ~ If you had to pick one event or discipline, what would it be?

Hmm… I love just riding but am not sure trail riding counts as a discipline! Perhaps dressage.

Q ~ What’s one tip that you’d give those who wanted to get into some aspect of the equine industry?

Do it for the love of working with horses and be eager to learn; money can’t be the main incentive.


Q ~ Are there many choices for a job when it comes to working in the horse industry?
Absolutely! I write a blog called Equus – Equine Related Education that explores over 100 different equine related careers. You can read about it at http://equus-blog.com/

Q ~ What inspired you to write Horse Country?

A few things! I would tell my parents about things that were happening at work and amuse them with anecdotes. My mother would comment that I should be writing these down; soon the idea stuck.

Also, my careers teacher in high school indicated that you cannot make a career out of horses and it’s just a phase not worth pursuing. This novel is to show how fun and rewarding it can be to work with horses and generate a career from them.

Q ~ Can you give us a bit of background information on the novel and how you came about it?
The novel is very factually based; woven around the lives of four women who breathe horses and work with them or are studying them to gain a job in the industry. Two teach horse riding in their parents’ riding school; whilst the other two work with breeding thoroughbreds.

The novel is very much based on experiences I’ve had including working on studs and instructing horse riding. The characters you get to meet and work with along the way are so unique, I felt a novel would be a great way to introduce people to them and the idea of working with horses.


Q ~ Do you think how a book cover looks is important?

I do! The graphic designer that did Horse Country created a cover that I’m really happy with; one that I feel helps to show what the novel is about. I think that’s important.


Q ~ What is one piece of advice that you’d give to those who’ve contemplated writing professionally?

Be persistent. Your writing is a product that you’ll need to consistently tell people about to get noticed.


Don't forget to pick up your copy of Horse Country today and find out more about this amazing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment